“If a child can’t learn the way we teach then we should teach the way he/she learns”. This has been my personal mission as a special educator.
As a post-graduate in English, closely followed by a Bachelor’s in Education, I launched into my teaching career handling English and Social-Studies for Secondary and Senior Secondary classes. As a classroom teacher, I was aware that every child had a very unique style and pace of learning. My Diploma in Special Education paved the way towards helping children with specific learning differences attain their potential. Having been a classroom teacher on one hand and a special Educator working on Curriculum-based remediation on the other meant that I could link the learning expectations posed by the curriculum to the working style of the child. The Curriculum-Based Remediation works by keeping in mind the child’s strengths and choosing strategies that maximize the potential. The results have been almost instantaneous reflecting the performance and self-confidence of the child.
Having worked with children from different countries in various International schools in Singapore I am familiar with the various aspects of the curriculum. I have worked with children with Dyslexia, ADD, ADHD and mild ASD and have been successful in helping them cope with the mainstream curriculum. Working with children has extended to other interests like Storytelling at the NLB and leading predominantly student-based tours at the Asian Civilization Museum.
Being fluent in French and other Indian languages like Tamil, Hindi, and Kannada helps to connect better with the children wherever there is a need. Travelling, reading and Photography take up my free time and practising taichi regularly keeps my mind and body in good shape.
- 1988- Bachelor of Arts, (English Literature) Madras University
- 1990- Master of Arts, (English Literature) Madras University
- 1994 –Bachelor of Education, (English and Special English) Annamalai University)
- 1997-98 Diploma in Special Education, (Specific Learning Disabilities and Integrated Education) Bangalore, India
- 2007 Diplome in French, Alliance Francaise Bangalore, India
- 2008 The Orton Gillingham programme (English) Singapore
- 2009-10 The Docent training programme, The Asian Civilisations Museum, Singapore
- 2016- Trained at the Library as a storytelling volunteer as part of the Friends of the library programme, NLB Singapore
- 2017- 2018 Specialist Diploma in Specific Learning Differences, DAS Academy
- Certificate in Dyscalculia and Numeracy Teaching, DAS Academy
- Certificate in Educational Psychology, DAS Academy
- Certificate in Dyslexia and Literacy Teaching (SpLD), DAS Academy
- Certificate in Supporting SpLD Learners in Advanced English Literacy, DAS Academy
- Certificate in Understanding Speech and Language Impairment, DAS Academy
- Certificate in IEP Planning for SpLD Learners, DAS Academy